Lesson Plan: History ages 6-8
- To be able to understand trading methods in the ancient world.
- To be able to conduct effective teamwork.
- To be able to give a presentation.
- Can demonstrate knowledge of ancient trading methods.
- Can work well within a team towards a common goal.
- Can present work clearly and thoughtfully.
Applying: demonstrate, dramatise, use, illustrate
Understanding: report, describe, discuss, explain
Analysing: compare, contrast, differentiate, examine, question
- Small pieces of blank paper (1/4 sheet of A4).
- 8 labels: one for each country on the trade route.
- Counters, or bottle tops, or pistachio shells, etc. (For coins)
- Coloured pencils.
- Large sheets of paper.
- Use the information from the website to tell the exciting stories about: ancient life and trade, old sailing ships and the Jewel of Muscat.
Role play: divide the class into about 8 groups.
Each group chooses ONE of the countries and its product below:
- Cambodia: chairs
- Vietnam: cooking pots
- Oman: water containers
- Indonesia: beds
- India: blankets
- China: sets of 6 plates
- Singapore: sets of 6 cups
- Sri Lanka: sets of 6 knives
Guide and monitor the groups through the activity sheet.
Elicit and discuss the differences between trade today and trade in ancient times.